Monday, September 8, 2008

English Comp 101 (9/8/08)

Part 1

Hey! My name is Josh Unwin. I am 18 and will be 19 in December. I'm a freshman (obviously) and I am majoring in Computer Science.
I am a die-hard baseball fan and I'm a BoSox fan. I also play baseball. In high school, I made the Varsity team my freshman year as a pitcher. I do not plan to play for Westfield though. It would be too much to juggle. You may notice that my username is "Bigcountry21". Well its my baseball nickname for highschool and "21" was number.

Part 2
__Writing Strategies __

1) Bosley provides details throughout her essay about how much the Junior Miss Pageant meant to her mother. Her mother would criticize her being a little overweight by telling that she could stand to lose twenty pounds; that it could help her have a better chance on winning the pageant. Bosley had to get a photograph done of herself to be eligible for the contest and her family was a very low budget kind of family. When basic polariods weren't doing the trick, her mother did something, that to this day is still unbeknownced by Bosley, to get money to get "professional" pictures done at K-Mart. This pageant seemed to mean more to her mother than it did to Bosley. It made me wonder if it had been her mother's dream to win a pageant and was now pushing it onto her daughter.

2) The public resonance of this essay would be the interesting way that Bosley criticized and scored people who had been in the Miss America pageants. She would take points away for basic imperfections which provided some kind of comedy to the essay that someone, like myself, would not find very interesting.

3) If i was to review Bosley's essay and then give her my thoughts I would tell her: "What I liked most about your essay was your lack of care about what your appearance. You entered the contest knowing that rejection was in your future. The main suggestion I have about your essay would be to have gone into more detail of the pageant. That is what the essay was basically about.

4) Bosley does tell us how she lost the pageant and it was a big shocker to us all. I'm sure we all were looking for a more practical reason. She basically tells us that she lost because her clothes weren't good enough, that her appearance wasn't the best. But then she goes into what her car looked like and what her house looks like. It's then that you realize that Bosley never intended to win or even come close to winning. She was there for her mother. To try to find her mother some closure in her supposedly "lonely" life.

__Exploring Ideas __

2) Bosley's point about beauty pageants speak to more larger issues than just the pageants themselves. Pageants to the normal television viewer is just a competition that just judges girls on the beauty. What they don't show are what the girls do to prep. Imagine being the girl that works out everyday to look good in her bathing suit, eats very little to get into the dress she must wear, all of that a waste if you lose. Imagine what those girls feel after the lose. The insecurity they must feel.

3) Playing sports is one way that I chose to fit in with some of my friends I have now. Playing well in popular sports such as baseball, football, soccer and basketball, will get you recognized by most people and will enhance your chances of making friends. You get recognized by playing horrible to, just not in a good way. Am I saying thats how it should be, No. Is that how it is? Yes!

__Ideas of Writing__


1) My junior year our baseball team was in the Western Mass playoffs and it was my first time being in the playoffs during y high school career. My coach took me out of the line-up. Why? I don't know still but I wasn't happy. So I went to first base and just went with it. He took me out of the game. Once again, Why? I don't know! We lost 10-3. Fun times........

2) It was my last baseball game of my senior year that I would ever pitch. I went into the game expecting to just get the job done against West Springfield. Instead, I threw a 1 hitter and batted 3-4 with 3 RBI's. If you are not a sports fan and you do not understand what any of that means, come ask me, I will have no problem informing you.

No comments: