Monday, September 8, 2008

Part 1

Part 1

Hi, I am Corey Carbone. Im eighteen years old and I am a criminal justice major at Westfield State College. I am from Franklin, Massachusetts where i attended Franklin High School.I have lived in Massachusetts my entire life. I love to watch the Patriots, Celtics and Red Sox.  I love the cold Massachusetts weather.
During my years at Franklin High i played basketball for the church league where we won the state championship. Besides that i didn't do that much, i hung out with my friends and went to parties on the weekend. Im a pretty basic kid. I like to take it easy and although i can get angry at times I am usually a nice guy.

Part 2

1.The main detail that caught my eye is how important she seemed to think this pageant was. In my mind a pageant isn't a real big deal and she talks about it like it is the end of the world when she loses. She says her mom gets sad and starts talking about sad things.  That caught my eye the most. How she thought the pageant so crucial to her teenage life.
2. This matters to other who may not be interested with the pageant because it tells the story of this particular girls life and how she had a tough family life with her mom. Also how this pageant brought her and her depressed mother close for the time of the pageant and how the lose of the pageant effected their lives.
3. What i liked most about the essay was that it was very personal and it caught my eye from the very beginning. The main suggestion i have about the essay is that it may be about a topic that doesn't attract a lot of readers.
4. She does explain how she lost the pageant. The point of her essay is about her life and this pageant. She apparently loses because of how she responds to one of the questions she is asked by the judges.

2.She shows that they point to media and Competition because she speaks of how the media portrays girls to have to look a certain way..very pretty, which is shown in a beauty pageant. Girls basically compete to be the best looking.
3.I believe the most common experience is going out to parties. Some people believe you must go out to a party in order to fit in. It is not necessarily true but some believe that.

1. One experience i was involved with that i was dissapointed with the out come of was sittion on the bench freshman on the football team. Another is losing the championship in basketball as a junior.
2.I used to lack talent playing basketball, however i worked really hard and ended up being one of the better players on the team. I helped lead the team to a championship my senior year.





Matt felt that the main detail was about her personality which kind of relates to my answer because i thought that the article was all about how she felt about the situation, which reflects her personality. 

Leticia stated that she felt the most detailed part was how she got more and more complex into the story about the pageants which is very correct i just did not see it that way.

1 comment:

Leticia Crespo said...

I don't feel she felt it was the end of the world when she lost. I feel like it was more that she realized that how she was viewing things was very wrong. Also I felt like she realized that she wasn't what the judges wanted, nothing about being mad that she lost.